Are you a hiker, a biker and like wine? Then you will like this six day hiking and biking trip through two of the most beautiful regions in Spain. You will be traveling through the Basque country near Balbao and through the wine country of Rioja.
You will be hiking for two days on the famous Camino de Santaigo along the Bay of Biscay complete with winery visits and fresh seafood for dinner(yum!)
Next you will bike through the Rio Ebro valley in Rioja. Enjoy rides through the small quaint villages with some some stops for wine tasting. Decide on how much biking you will do with short, medium or long routes available.
Spanish tapas, Spanish wine and a little adventure!
DATE: September 9 – 14, 2012 COST $2,200 USD per person
- Nights 1 & 2: We stay in the Hotel Saiaz in Getaria, north of Bilbao in the Basque country. This nice upscale accommodation in the seaside resort of Getaria is a traveler favorite.
- Night 3: We spend our next night in the Hotel Los Agustinos, a four-star hotel in the historic center of Haro, capital of the Rioja region.
- Nights 4 & 5: Our final nights are in the Hotel Villa de la Laguardia, in the walled city of Laguardia.
• Bike rental of 25 euros/day for three days
• Single supplement of $850 (single supplement is always optional; otherwise we will find you a roommate of the same gender)
• Exploring the ancient and varied cultures of Spain’s Basque Country
• Hiking on the Camino de Santiago de Compostela along the Bay of Biscay
• Enjoying Tapas (Pintxos), local fish and bueno vino!
• Biking among the Rioja vineyards
ARRIVAL & DEPARTURE Your guides meet you in the early afternoon in Bilbao, Spain on the first day of the trip. If you choose to arrive that day, we will meet you at the airport. If you arrive earlier we’ll meet you at a downtown hotel. We’ll return to Bilbao’s airport the last afternoon of the trip, giving you time to fly out and return home (or extend your stay) that same day.
TRANSPORTATION There are no direct flights from North America to Bilbao (airport code BIO), but flights generally require just one stop in a major European airport before arriving in Bilbao. All flights from North America to Europe are overnight flights. Returning home, you can catch an afternoon flight from Bilbao and return to major North American or European airports that same day.
• Our Spanish guide joins at least one other Zephyr guide, with a third guide added if necessary.
• Double occupancy lodging is included. If you are traveling solo, we will match you with another traveler of the same gender. However, you may pay a single supplement to have your own room.
• All of your dinners and breakfasts are included. Gratuity for these meals is also included. We leave lunches open so that you have time to explore and enjoy the small markets and shops in the villages en route.
• All your transportation is included once you meet your guides on the first day.
• Some wine tastings are included.
NOT INCLUDED Bike rental, beverages, desserts, lunches, optional gratuities to your guides, personal expenses and travel to and from the destination.
Interested – contact Debbie firstname.lastname@example.org