Happy Earth Day! Today we celebrate Earth and all the wonderful things the earth gives us. But, we take a lot from it. Do we ever think about giving back to earth, becoming more sustainable and ways we can protect our planet?
Veramonte Wines takes this task very seriously. Veramonte is located in Chile. Their vineyards in Casablanca is planted with their white and cool climate grapes while the reds are planted in Colchagua.
All their vineyards are 100% organic. Their organic practices consist of the following:
- Quality Compost – they use their own compost to maximize the soil and promote balance and self-regulation of the ecosystem.
- Inter-Row Cultivation – To improve the structure and vitality of their soils, cover crops are planted in between rows. This minimizes erosion, improves soil structure, and provide nutrients to the soil.
- Incorporation of Animals – Sheep and other animals act as natural fertilizer in addition, cut(eat) grass in the spring and aerate the soil (with their feet)
- Conservation of Biological Corridors – by preserving biodiversity ensures a self-regulating ecosystem, thus having healthy vines
- Pruning & Canopy Management – Ensure proper ventilation and the right amount of foliage to avoid diseases.
- Weed Control – They cultivate the land under the vines. This loosens the soil and generates structure for the vines and enhances the life and microfauna of the soil. The goal is to have healthier soils rich in micro-organisms.
Veramonte has partnered with the non-profit organization Kiss the Ground, which was created to focus its efforts on healthy soils and creating a symbiotic relationship with the earth. Their mission is to awaken people to the possibilities of regeneration.
With every purchase of Veramonte wines, they will contribute to Kiss the Ground and its mission.
Veramonte Wines priced at $11.99
Veramonte Organic Sauvignon Blanc 2021 – An impressive Sauvignon Blanc with aromas of white grapefruit and lemon zest. The palate is soft with bright acidity and nuisances of white grapefruit, lemon and lime zest. A great summer white! (Found it at Total Wine for $7.99)
Veramonte Organic Chardonnay 2020 – Aged for eight months in oak, this Chardonnay is very easy drinking. Aromas show a hint of vanilla with honeydew melon pear and green apple. The palate is creamy with notes of pear, lemon and green apple.
Veramonte Organic Carmenere 2020 – Aged in French oak for eight months, the 2020 Carmenere is full of red and black fruit. The palate is smooth and balanced and has a nice even finish.