For the LOVE of Cabernet Franc – Celebrate Cab Franc Day December 4
Cabernet Franc is a very under appreciated grape and it happens to be one of my favorites. Now there is a day to celebrate the grape, December 4.
Here is some information about Cabernet Franc and what makes it special:
- The grape originated in the Loire Valley
- It’s one of the 5 grapes found in the classic Bordeaux Blend
- The union between Cabernet Franc and Sauvignon Blanc produced Cabernet Sauvignon
- It’s lighter in color and tannins than Cabernet Sauvignon
- Some of the aromas you will find coming from your glass are: tobacco, raspberry, cassis, violets, earth, cigar box
- Some fruit you will find on your palate included cranberries and red cherries
- It will age well 3 to 5 years. Although I had a 10 year old Cabernet Franc recently that was very good.
Below is a Facebook live video I created for the event. Not the best video as my phone was horizontal and not vertical. Lesson learned.