If you like Garnacha then you will like reading my posts during the next 4 weeks as I participate in April’s #winestudio wine education focusing the D.O.P Carinena region of Spain. Let’s get started with a brief overview of the region
- Established in 50BC
- Located in the Ebro Valley, just west of Priorat
- D.O.P Carinena has more old vine Garnacha than any other region in Spain
- 3 Co-ops make the majority of D.O.P Carinena Garnacha from 50-100 year old vines.
- 1863 while Phylloxera began destroying 90% of European vineyards, Carinena was unaffected.
- D.O.P Carinena ancient stone soils and high altitude makes it ideal for growing Granacha
- Wines made from the lower altitude plantings will be fruitier, while wines made from higher altitude will be more complex.